Symptoms of Lead Paint Poisoning
Until the late 1970s, lead-based paint was the standard paint for every home and building across the United States. However, the product was banned in 1978 after it was discovered that lead-based paint can be dangerous when accidentally inhaled or ingested. Unfortunately, there are still a large number of buildings that still have lead paint, putting innocent lives at risk every day. Lead paint poisoning can cause serious and potentially long-term damage to a person’s health.
Property owners should replace the lead paint on their premises, but if they do not, you could hold them liable for lead paint poisoning and other damages. For more information about how you can pursue financial compensation to pay for damages, contact a San Diego accident lawyer of Ritter & Associates today at (619) 296-0123 and schedule a free consultation.
Initial Signs of Lead Poisoning
Lead-based paint becomes dangerous when it begins to chip or flake off walls, releasing lead particles into the air. When lead enters the body through your throat, lungs, or stomach, it can cause a number of side effects such as:
- Respiratory problems
- Trouble sleeping
- Abnormal blue discoloration along the gum line
It is important to receive medical treatment immediately and avoid the contaminated environment. If you fail to do so, you could eventually suffer from serious and life-altering health consequences such as neurological disorders or damage to vital organs.
If you have suffered lead paint poisoning due to an unsafe premises, you can hold the property owner responsible for his or her negligence. Learn more about your legal rights and options today by calling a San Diego accident attorney of Ritter & Associates at (619) 296-0123.